Wednesday, March 11

Samhoseo Elementary English Conversation Teacher

My new title : ) Ahhh, it's so fun!! The kids are soo adorable, and much more innocent than I was expecting : ). But I must say that I get nervous before every class!! It's only been three days, so I guess that's normal... I have yet to have a class of students twice, so each class is full of new students and I don't know ho
w they will react to me! Some students are crazy, and some are so quiet that class is awkward!! haha.

My first day, first class was pretty much a disaster. I could even sense that some of the students felt bad for me! Ugh! My class activity didn't work. I planned on having them pass around balls of yarn, and when they caught it, they had to say their name and one thing they like, in English. Then the class would respond by saying, "Hey _____, hey _____. What's up??" I thought it would be fun because it's kind of like slang that
 they probably haven't learned yet. Well... The kids spoke so softly that no one could hear them, and I thought they would cry if I asked them to speak up. AND, I ruined it because I kept forgetting and messing up the Korean names!! Ahh!! So embarrassing. I changed the game for the rest of the classes, and it is MUCH better. Yes!

Yeah, I gave the rest of the classes a list of English names so they can choose one. It is SO much easier for me!! haha. Although many of them have been choosing the same ones (BEN is the most common among boys. There is so
me character or famous person called Ben10, because I have heard that a lot.. I think that's why it is chosen so much--found it on google!!). Other boys popular boys names are Kevin, Daniel, David... And among girls, the most picked are Sara, Jenny, Tina...

Oh! My homestay brother is running for school president!! I hope he wins!! He's so cute!! haha. They made all these campaign posters and stuff.

Umm.. I'm getting a text book for the kids called English Land. It is full of Disney characters!! It looks really fun and I've heard it's really good. The material seems good : ) I was like, who am I to choose a textbook!?? I had one month of training and now I know what these students need I guess! lol. but I did have help and suggestions from fellow Talk scholars : ).

Okay, I think I wrote enough. I really need to take a picture with my homestay family soon so I can show them to you guys! Sorry this post didn't really lend itself to pictures... I have lots of pics on facebook!!

3 comments:

Lois K. said...

i wonder if they also pick names based on how easy they are to pronounce. how old are your students anyway? i keep imagining like 7-year-old kids, but i dunno if that's right. as for the ben's, you should find a way to distinguish them. like use their last names, unless they all happen to be kims or parks, haha =b i know it'll get better christie. aja fighting!

Christie said...

haha, theyre 9-11 years old. yeah i should be like Ben1, Ben2, Ben3...Ben10 haha. i miss you lois!!!

Unknown said...

what about "samson"? that's a pretty awesome name. I bet most of the kids wanted to pick that but thought "that name is way too cool"